For those of us who still prefer flat pedals over clipless, there are many options to choose from in a variety of materials from plastic to magnesium. Plus, you can find different platform sizes, spindle material, pin configuration and so on. Unfortunately its impossible to try multiple pedal models to find the ones that work the best for you so sometimes its just a good idea to spend the money and go for the more expensive model to be sure you are getting a quality product.
The Wolf Tooth Components Waveform Aluminum Pedals are a higher end set of mountain bike pedals designed to provide riders with a high-performance, durable, and comfortable platform for tackling various terrain. Wolf Tooth Components is known for its quality bike components, and these pedals are no exception.
They are made from durable aluminum and feature a dual-concave profile for excellent grip and support. The pedals also have a slim profile and a large platform, which helps to reduce pedal strikes and improve pedaling efficiency. These pedals compare favorably to other high-end flat pedals, such as the Crankbrothers Stamp 7 and the OneUp Components Aluminum Pedals.
Here are the features of the Waveform pedals:
- High-Quality Materials: These pedals are constructed from 6061-T6 aluminum, which is known for its strength and durability while remaining lightweight. This material choice ensures that the pedals can withstand the rigors of off-road riding.
- Large Platform: The Waveform pedals feature a generously sized platform with 14 removable and customizable pins on each side. This provides excellent grip and stability, allowing riders to confidently tackle technical descents and climbs.
- Available in two sizes: small and large
- Sealed Bearings: The pedals are equipped with sealed cartridge bearings, which are designed to keep out dirt and moisture. This enhances the longevity of the pedals and ensures smooth rotation over time.
- Thin Profile: Despite their large platform, the Waveform pedals have a relatively thin profile, which helps reduce the chances of pedal strikes on obstacles while riding on rough trails.
- Concave Shape: The concave design of the pedal platform cradles the rider's foot, improving comfort and control. It also helps prevent foot slippage during aggressive riding.
- Multiple Color Options: Wolf Tooth Components offers these pedals in a range of attractive anodized colors, allowing riders to customize the look of their bike.
- Material: 6061-T6 aluminum
- Platform Dimensions: 114mm x 111mm
- Thickness: 14mm at the center
- Weight: Approximately 355 grams per pair
- Bearings: Sealed cartridge bearings
- Pins: 14 per side, removable and customizable
- Colors: Various anodized color options - Black, Blue, Espresso, Olive, Orange, Purple, Red and Silver
When comparing them to other pedals in the same price range, you can see and feel the build quality which is nothing surprising compared to other Wolf Tooth products. And just like with the other Wolf Tooth components, these are made in the USA.
As for grip, these perform fairly well but it would be nice if the pins were a bit longer. You can buy shorter pins, but not longer ones. You can get a set of 10 pins for around $5 or 50 for $20 so there is no need to worry about wearing them down. We switched from a set of our go to href="http://www.mtbcommunity.com/mtb-product-reviews/dmr-vault-magnesium-pedals" target="_blank">DMR Vault pedals to these and noticed that they do not grip quite as well but that could be from the shorter pins.
The Waveform pedals appear to have a better build quality than the Vaults and the Vaults are known to need rebuilding sooner than most people would like. The DMR pedals we replaced were already going out on one side after about a year of use. They are also completely rebuildable, and you can purchase all of the parts individually if needed.
Overall, if you are looking for a high quality pedal that performs well, you can't go wrong with the Wolf Tooth Waveform pedal. They will cost you around $200 and you can get them on a variety of bike product websites or from Wolf Tooth themselves.